A growing shortage of physicians and healthcare professionals is making it more difficult for hospitals and clinics to recruit doctors – especially to rural communities. As a result, patients who live in small towns often have to travel great distances to receive the care they need.
Essentia Health is bridging that gap through the use of an interactive technology called Telehealth. Similar to videoconferencing, telehealth uses cameras, microphones and computer equipment to connect healthcare professionals and patients who in live in rural communities with specialists who usually live in larger cities.
Telehealth is one of the many ways that Essentia Health delivers on its promise to deliver high quality healthcare close to home.
|1. Telehealth carts are specially-designed for the healthcare setting: two-way video and audio connect patients and local care providers with healthcare specialties virtually anywhere.
2. Dual system speakers and amplifier allow for high-output audio.
3. The telehealth cart is lightweight and highly mobile to maximize functionality.
4. High definition camera has 4X zoom capabilities, as well as full tilt for patients in hospital beds or wheelchairs.
5. High definition video allows for collaboration in cases ranging from remote patient consultations to virtual care teams and medical education.
6. Design allows for virtual content sharing, recording and management capabilities.
7. Designed for mobility and ease of use at the point of care.
Essentia Health offers the following telehealth services at these locations:
- Mental Health (Behavioral Health)
- Dermatology provided from Essentia Health-Virginia Clinic to:
- Cardiology (Congestive Heart Failure and Atrial Fibrillation Outreach) provided from Essentia Health-St. Mary’s Medical Center, Duluth to:
- Essentia Health-Deer River Clinic
- Rainy Lake Medical Clinic - International Falls
- Essentia Health-Spooner Clinic (coming soon)
- Essentia Health-Ashland Clinic (coming soon)
- Essentia Health- Hayward Clinic (coming soon)
- TeleEmergency Services provided from Essentia Health-St. Mary’s Medical Center Emergency Room, Duluth to:
- TeleHospitalist Services provided from Essentia Health-St. Mary’s Medical Center, Duluth
- Teledietitian Services provided from Essentia Health-St. Mary's Medical Center, Duluth to:
- Essentia Health-Ely Clinic
- Essentia Health-Spooner Clinic
- Essentia Health-Ashland Clinic
- Essentia Health- Hayward Clinic
- Rainy Lake Medical Center Clinic
|Advancing an advanced technology.
Telehealth is a wave of the future that got its start in Minnesota several years in the past. Developed by a consortium of healthcare providers, hospitals, clinics and physicians—and directed by Maureen Ideker, RN—Telemedicine was created to bring best practices and better outcomes to rural communities across the state. The consortium set out with the vision to tackle the struggles of rural physician recruitment, and in doing so, enhanced the access and speed with which patients like you could receive treatment.
Simply put, Telehealth makes it possible for any doctor to be anywhere.
Now, we’re seeing that vision through—and patients across the Essentia Health system are seeing specialists in virtual face-to-face appointments.
Maureen Ideker, RN, with Dr. Theresa Gunnarson, demostrates the two-way mobile Telehealth cart
Telehealth technology provides direct patient benefit by eliminating geographic hurdles for people who live in rural areas. Using specially designed carts equipped with two-way video and audio, staff at community hospitals and clinics can transmit information to consulting specialists in various locations, allowing them to assess patients and recommend course of care.
Through virtual consults, patients can be connected with healthcare profesional and physicians in many specialties currently offered through Essentia Health.
Our vision is to use telehealth technology to improve each patient's health by improving access to healthcare. Telehealth will:
- Provide patients greater access to specialty care via e-consults at their local clinics
- Foster closer, more frequent interactions between patients and their healthcare teams
- Deliver the care patients need, when they need it, close to their homes and cost-effectively
Watch our video about the telehealth initiative at Essentia Health-Northern Pines, Aurora: